Not everyone enjoys the prospect of moving to a new home, but when the time is right, it is definitely a good idea to start searching for a new house. But how do you know when the time is right? There are any number of factors that can prompt a home move, and they differ for every unique individual or family. Still, there are a few common factors that can be a trigger for people wanting to find a new home. In this blog we’ll look at some of the signs that it might be time for you to get off the fence and start a new house search.
1. Financial– Any financial advisor will tell that it’s important to review your finances periodically. But that doesn’t just mean your income, outgoings, cash savings and other investments; you also need to consider your property wealth. How much is your current home worth and how much equity do you have in it? Examining your finances can give a good indication on whether it’s time to upsize to a new homeor to stay put, to concentrate on saving a deposit or on paying down an existing mortgage.
2. A fresh start– Most considerations on this list are practical in nature, but this one is more emotional. Are you happy with your current life and where you are living? Or is the time right for a fresh start in a new housein either just another neighborhood, or another part of the country entirely. Perhaps you are considering a change of career, or just a change of scenery. It’s important to be sensible and practical when considering a house move, but it’s also important to listen to your heart.
3. Storage space– This is a big one. We all accumulate what might generally be referred to as “clutter” in our lives, but that word can also devalue our treasured belongings. If your book collection, wardrobe, music collection, or kids’ toys are taking over your home then sometimes it may come down to a stark decision between having a thorough clear out, or considering upsizing to a bigger new home with more storage space.
4. Changing relationships– When a couple start getting serious, it’s common for one to move in with another to begin their life together. But buying a new housetogether can also be an option for some. There can be a real bonding experience in house-hunting together, choosing furnishings, and setting up a new home that reflects the compromise and agreement between two partners.
5. An expanding family– Another one of the big ones. If you are planning having your first or further children, it may be necessary to think seriously about upsizing to a new home. But it’s not always just the size of the property that’s a consideration – you may simply want to move to a new house in a more appealing neighborhood, or one with a better rated school district.
At Miraval we have built a beautiful community of luxury new homes featuring award-winning architectural design. Contact us today to find out more.